Skip to main content

Is it okay to scream at others?

My mother always told me to control my emotions, hide them, and to the extent possible, never get angry or upset.  These early childhood lessons have served me well and I am fairly calm person, but occasionally, I do get disturbed by something but unable to express it.  I swallow my anger and while I have developed coping mechanisms to deal with negative emotions like these, I have experienced anxiety as a result of this.  Not good, according to University of Jena scientists Marcus Mund and Kristin Mitte.  According to them when we hold off expressing our emotions, the body still is reacting to them and during the course of this experience, the heart rate goes up, eventually leading to high blood pressure.  We all know that over a long term it can cause serious health complications.



"They avoid risks and always seek a high level of control over themselves and their surroundings," according to Mund, and he could very well describing me.  His advice is to simply let out some steam rather than trying to maintain harmony all the time.