Skip to main content

Is there anything wrong with lip syncing?

Lip syncing is pretty widespread in concerts, sports events, and even presidential inaugurations.  I personally hate the whole idea and find it unethical and fraudulent.  When I want to listen to perfect music, I turn on the Bose music player in my home.  When I choose to listen to live music -- I am not stupid -- I expect that the music will be less than perfect.  In fact, I have been to concerts where if you don't get the best seats or if the auditorium is not perfect or if you are outdoors, the music can be really awful, especially if you have listened to the perfect rendition before.  But the reality is that going to a live event is all about being part of the experience, enjoying the company of others who are like me, and listen to something happening in real time.  If something is not perfect, it is part of the experience.  That is why my preference will be that if a singer wants to have that perfect performance, it is best to simply play the recording and cut the crap by pretending to sing.