Skip to main content

Are annual health checkups worth it?

I am one of those individuals who has health insurance but I almost never go to the doctor.  I eat healthy, I exercise regularly, take a few multi-vitamins and supplements, sleep a solid 8-9 hours, and try to live spiritually.  That's it.  As a middle aged man, I am in excellent health.  So when I read that according to research from The Cochrane Collaboration the annual medical checkup that your family members and/or family doctor keeps nagging about our useless insofar as their impact on healthy life or living longer.  Apparently, the physicians bill hundreds of dollars each year to health insurers for your checkup and because most people have them without thinking too much, they provide a steady stream of revenue for the clinics and hospitals.  I have had just one during last twenty years and I am not going back any time soon.