Skip to main content

Best auto insurance for lower income drivers

When I recently refinanced my home mortgage Wells Fargo gave me a hard time with my income numbers.  I would not be surprised if the bank even gave me a higher rate because of that.  A study by non-profit Consumer Federation of America has found that auto rates for lower income drivers are almost always (only GEICO and Progressive were exceptions) higher than those for higher income individuals, even when the driver with lower income has better driving record.  Basically, when they ask you for your education level and occupation, they assume, for example, that someone with just a high school diploma must make a lot less than someone with a master's degree.  What is worse is that sometimes auto insurance companies even refuse to provide a quote for someone with a perfect driving record, just because she has fewer years of education.  So when you shop around for car insurance, be careful about these questions and make sure you do not settle with the first company that gives you a quote.