Skip to main content

How many times a week should I workout?

I don't know how it got into my head that one should workout every day, but when I decided to get more disciplined about my fitness, I found that the best way to be regular was to make it part of my routine.  So I argued that if I could do some exercises before the morning shower that I took five days a week before going to work, it would work well, and it did.  I am proud to say that for almost 20 years now, it has worked very well for me.  Just in case, a weekday happens to be a holiday or I am on vacation, I don't workout or might workout later in the day, but other than that, it works for me.  It has also helped me stay reasonably healthy and fit, despite the fact that I work from home on a computer.

It was in this context that I came across a study (published in Exercise & Science in Sports & Medicine) by Dr. Gary Hunter of University of Alabama at Birmingham.  He has found that when it comes to exercise “less may be more.”  According to this research, people who worked out only twice a week did not perform poorly in fitness tests.  In fact, separate body of research has shown that excessive exercise can actually hurt your body and lower your lifespan.  So eat healthy and work out in moderation and you will be good.  I am not planning to change my routine any time soon because it is not excessive and it helps me breathe plenty of fresh air in the morning, keeps me mentally stress-free, and it is a part of a routine that is as important to me as shaving or brushing my teeth each morning.