Skip to main content

We must accept ourselves the way we are

There is one of my favorite lines from French philosopher Albert Camus: "Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is."  That is why it is so interesting to watch Hannah (played so well by Lena Dunham) on Girls.  My wife and I are too old to appreciate the challenges that the characters are going through but it is important for us to understand what is happening in the society today.  That is why I enjoyed some other comments from Lena in a recent interview:  "There would be all kinds of weird challenges to deal with (if I would look like a Victoria's Secret model). I don't think I'd like it very much... I don't want to go through life wondering if people are talking to me because I have a big rack. Not being the babest person in the world creates a nice barrier."  I am so intrigued by Lena as an individual that she has accepted who she is (though, it might be good for her to lose a few pounds for health reasons).