Skip to main content

How to lower shaving expenses?

If I recall it right, except for a brief period when I used a Norelco Electric Shaver that I received as a gift from y girlfriend (now my wife), I have pretty much used Gillette razors, and have upgraded as they have introduced more expensive products.  I have not had anything to complain and if my wife did not buy the overpriced cartridges during her grocery shopping, it was me who also blindly picked the cartridges during a run to Target.  Last month it hit me that the prices of these cartridges simply keep going up, even though, as an engineer I know that none of the materials have become expensive over time (I am not privy to their ad budgets but I hardly see any television commercials from the company).  That is when I noticed that right along the super expensive cartridges (which lately I have seen actually come enclosed in tamper proof containers that need to be opened at the checkout -- essentially meaning that they are now so expensive that people are stealing them) was a huge selection of disposable shavers not just from Schick and Gillette but also store brands.



After reviewing the prices, I concluded that they were simply a lot cheaper, maybe about a third, and looking at the offerings, I concluded that a box of Schick Hydro disposables was worth a try.  Oh, wow, what a brilliant decision I made.  I used to mistakenly think that disposables were appropriate only for a short trip or to have them for guests in the house, but once I started to shave, except for having to get used to a flexible head, I see no difference.  I guess corporations simply exploit the mental barriers we create about switching costs.