Skip to main content

Cost of a new roof in Massachusetts

So when my roof started to show signs of trouble (water leak during the monster winter of 2014/2015, chipping off of shingles, and mildew/lichen on shingles) I had no choice but to get a new roof after 20 years.  Since the roofers have had such a good year, they were so snooty that they wouldn't return my call.  I was avoiding the big box stores because I know that despite being more reliable (I just had carpets installed by Home Depot -- three bedrooms for $1,100 and I ripped off the old carpet myself and also moved the furniture myself), they do charge more.  I finally got two written estimates and one oral.




I have a 4-bedroom colonial with a front porch and a screened porch at the back.  Just about 24 squares in the lingo of roofers.  I also wanted to get quality work done for peace of mind so I was reluctant to hire illegals.  I did a lot of research online but there is simply no way to get an accurate estimate of what you should be paying but I just wanted a number that would make me comfortable that I was not being ripped off.  So if you are in my shoes, maybe it will help you to know that I paid $10,800 for the whole job.  Each job is slightly different but hopefully if the size of your house is similar to mine (it is important to point out that I have living space of 2400 square foot and that means that the total constructed area is 1200 sq ft considering that it is a two-storied home but because of the slopes and porches etc. the calculation is a bit tricky but this should help you come up with an estimate as to how many squares of roofing you might need), you can make sure that you are not being ripped off if you are paying about $450 per square (it is somewhat on the high side but that is because roofers have been so busy this time that they really don't need your business unless you agree to this price -- I could not even get a discount of $100).