Skip to main content

Cheapest plan to surf web on smartphone

For the time being I continue to be on the cheapest possible mobile phone plan in America, but I have been wondering how to use the Vonage mobile app for making international phone calls from my cell phone using wifi.  You see, I am a Vonage customer and on the plan that I have, I can pretty much make unlimited calls to almost any country in the world using my phone at home.  The company also lets me make phone calls with a cell phone by calling a domestic number, but if you have a smart phone, you can download their app and make/receive calls as if you were at home.  In addition, I have also wondered that on the rare occasion that I need, it will be nice to have access to the web (for directions or searching for a business) on my cell phone (which is currently an old, dumb phone).


 

So I started to research for a smart phone that will allow me to download apps, surf the web using wi-fi most of the time, but when I need to, I can also access the web without an expensive contract or commitment.  My research has shown that the best way to accomplish that is to buy a cheap smart phone from Tmobile (you can get good deals on lesser known Android models or refurbished phones) and sign up with their pay-as-you-go program, which as I showed you in my previous post (link above) can be as cheap as a dollar a month.  Now this phone can be used to surf the web or use your Vonage app wherever you have free wifi, as I do at home or is easy to find these days in malls, restaurants and cafes.  Now imagine you really need web access but can't find it for free, Tmobile lets you pay for just one day of 4G access for $3 (just switch your plan and then switch it right back a few hours before midnight).  This should do the tricks for people like me who work from home but do need a phone for emergency use.