Skip to main content

Why did Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow breakup?

I was totally confounded when Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow broke up. I was trying to figure out what went wrong and when I heard that Sheryl Crow still loved Lance after they ended their relationship, I was confused even more. Then, Sheryl Crow adopted Wyatt Steven Crow and I suspected that we would never find out what went wrong in such a beautiful relationship.

Now we have answer. The main reason for the breakup was Sheryl's desire to become a mom, as she was already 44 around their engagement. At that age, it is nearly impossible for a woman to get pregnant naturally and have a healthy baby. Yes, some women do become moms but in almost all cases they resort to IVF that may use their frozen eggs, of if that was not done, they use donor eggs.

"She wanted marriage, she wanted children; and not that I didn't want that, but I didn't want that at that time because I had just gotten out of a marriage, I'd just had kids [Luke, Grace and Bella]. Yet we're up against her biological clock -- that pressure is what cracked it." Armstrong says in a book.

They tried counseling but it seems that he was not ready to father another child at the time and Sheryl wanted to get pregnant right away since at that age every day matters. In the end, the couple could not come to a compromise and decided to cancel the engagement.

The message here is that parenthood and its timing can be a big bone of contention in a couple and it is better to deal with it very early on in the relationship rather than realize that it is a problem after the engagement.