Skip to main content

Get Smart movie review

Honestly blog photo of Ann Hathway and Steve Carrell in Get Smart filmI always enjoyed Steve Carell on The Daily Show but when I watched him for the first time in "The 40 Year Old Virgin," I was disappointed. The humor was lame and the plot was weak despite some good acting by Carell. Then I had a chance to watch "Little Miss Sunshine" and I realized that if the plot was right, Carell could be at his best.

I have been a big fan of Anne Hathaway since I saw her in "The Devil Wears Prada."

In "Get Smart" movie, Carell and Hathaway are both agents (Maxwell Smart and Agent 99) for a fictitious intelligence agency. The two go on a mission together to Russia to find out how KAOS, a terrorist organization, was getting nuclear weapons. There is a lot of action-filled comedy and eventually Smart is suspected to be a double-agent. He proves that he is not a double agent by preventing the explosion of a bomb at a concert in Los Angeles attended by the president.

If you are looking for spy-thriller, this is not the movie for you, but if you like satire and comedy, it is a good one. I was also pleasantly surprised that there is a lot more action in the movie than I would have expected from demure Hathaway and least likely spy Carell.