Skip to main content

Spanglish movie review

Photo of Adam Sandler, Tea Leoni, and Paz VegaIf you have always "hated" Adam Sandler, I would have called you a friend prior to watching "Spanglish." Any time I got to watch him, I found him so juvenile, almost someone acting like an imbecile. This movie may not make you fall in love with him, but you will agree that a good actor becomes what the story and director wants him to be. In this movie, I have seen him act like an adult for the first time. I just hope that he gets to act in a few more good movies.

"Spanglish" has a special meaning for me because, despite being with Lorena for over 10 years, my Spanish langauge abilities are dismal. While I do get by with my Spanglish, to have a meaningful conversation, I need someone to translate for me.

In this film, however, Adam Sandler (John) and his wife Tea Leoni (Deborah) do pretty good managing a maid Flor Moreno (played by Paz Vega, who for some reasons, kept reminding me of Penelope Cruz), who does not speak English at all.

In no time, she and her charming daughter Cristina become part of a very WASP family. Of course, that means they also become too integrated into the family, something that is not always good to do, because not only the two belong to two different cultures, their social classes are so far apart. It is a great movie to watch as a family, especially if you have language issues within the family.